MINNEAPOLIS, MN — A recent Professional Convention Management Association (PCMA) survey asked meeting professionals if they were planning to launch a new digital event that was not previously held face-to-face, and more than half (52 percent) said “Yes.” In response to this trend, a trio of Meet Minneapolis and Minneapolis Convention Center staff members recently earned the Digital Event Strategist (DES) certification offered through PCMA. This certification demonstrates professionals are knowledgeable and well-equipped to assist meeting planners who need to develop and produce engaging live stream and digital events.
The newly certified Digital Event Strategists are:
Erica Bergum, Meet Minneapolis Destination Services & Event Manager
Colin Brereton, Minneapolis Convention Center Senior Supervisor of Technology Services
Megan Wahman, Meet Minneapolis Marketing Manager
“We have seen an increase in demand for support of virtual events,” Meet Minneapolis President and CEO Melvin Tennant said. “Having members of our team achieve this certification ensures that we will continue to be a trusted resource for our clients, whether they plan to hold in-person, virtual or hybrid events in the future.”
In order to earn the DES certification, Bergum, Brereton and Wahman took part in a five-module online course that included weekly “expert hours” with a live expert and a final exam.
The accreditation program covers a wide range of best practices for virtual events, including the following:
• Budgeting and planning for digital events, and which platforms are best suited to meet each event’s needs
• Developing digital event agendas, preparing speakers, and engaging audiences through a variety of interactive options
• Determining the best technology to meet an event’s needs, including lighting, audio, cameras, streaming, chat, polls and more
• Reaching new audiences, driving awareness and participation, and using metrics to determine the success of digital events
• Engaging audiences across numerous events and building loyal digital event planners