Some might say that Aurora, Colorado has stood in the shadows of Denver, Colorado for far too long. Although it is a short distance from the Mile-High and its international airport, it has developed into its own unique brand of hospitality, making it a winning destination for any upcoming meeting or event. It even has the largest convention center in the state. So, planners, mull over the following facts about Aurora and you are bound to agree that it is worth more than a serious consideration for your next group destination. For a full report on this Gateway to the Rockies, be sure to see Facilities & Destinations Fall issue which comes out in October too! (www.facilitiesonline.com)
- ACCESSIBILITY: Aurora is only minutes from the 3rd busiest airport in the country, Denver International, with nonstop service to more than 215 global destinations. Aurora’s light rail, buses, and ride-sharing options make getting around the city a breeze.
- LODGING: With more than 75 hotel properties, Aurora has it all, from full-service, brand-name properties to locally owned boutique hotels.
- COLORADO’S LARGEST RESORT AND CONVENTION CENTER: Opened in 2018, the Gaylord Rockies Resort & Convention Center is the largest in Colorado, with 1,501 guest rooms, 517,000+ total square feet of event space, and eight dining room options.
- A HUB OF INNOVATION: Home of the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus, Aurora excels in medical advancement and technology and is expected only to keep growing as a leader in the medical community. Additionally, Boeing and Panasonic call Aurora home and the city is also full of thriving locally-owned businesses, restaurants, and more.
- INTERNATIONAL RESTAURANTS: Aurora’s 300+ independently owned and operated eateries span a variety of digs, from Korean barbecue to Mexican taquerias and so much more.
- OFF THE BEATEN PATH: As Colorado’s third-largest city (and the country’s 49th largest), Aurora has the resources to accommodate groups large and small while still offering unique off-site experiences not found anywhere else.
- NATURE: Aurora has 113 parks, 98 miles of trails, and 8,000 acres of open space to explore, allowing groups to fit in some Colorado adventure without having to venture too far away.
- GATEWAY TO THE ROCKIES: Aurora is the first city to welcome visitors to the beautiful Rocky Mountains, where they can discover hiking, biking, climbing or just taking in the fresh mountain air.
- THRIVING ARTS AND CULTURE SCENE: The Aurora Cultural Arts District is bursting with creative performances at the historic Aurora Fox Arts Center and The People’s Building. New murals line Colfax Avenue and tell stories of Aurora’s community and growth in the local art scene.
- THE MOST DIVERSE CITY IN COLORADO: With more than 160 languages spoken, Aurora truly is a melting pot of cultures. Recognized as one of the most diverse cities in the nation, one in five residents of Aurora is foreign-born. Aurora is one of a handful of cities in the US that provide resources and support for immigrants and refugees to not only integrate but to thrive in their community.
For more information: www.visitaurora.com