NEW YORK, NY — The New York Convention Center Operating Corporation (NYCCOC), Levy Convention Centers and CxRA have launched a new hospitality brand at the Javits Center called Cultivated. The brand will enhance the hospitality experience at the 2019 Prime Site Award-winning Javits Center with elements rooted in the Empire State. These include more New York ingredients and producers, as well as unique dining presentations, products sourced onsite and signature high-end catering.
Cultivated will complement the new spaces at the soon-to-be-expanded convention center, which are scheduled to open in 2021. As part of the 1.2 million-sq.-ft. expansion project at the north end of the campus, a rooftop pavilion and outdoor space will be constructed, along with additional kitchens, multiple food preparation stations and 27 loading docks. Cultivated will also be instrumental to the success of a one-acre rooftop working farm being constructed as part of the expansion. See the news section of the 2019 F&D SuperBook for details on the expansion.
“We are thrilled to announce the launch of this new hospitality brand, Cultivated, which illustrates our strong connection to New York and our mission to host unique events and experiences that support our economy and foster the sharing of ideas that move this city, this state and this world forward,” said Alan Steel, President and CEO of NYCCOC. “The definition of ‘cultivated’ means to nurture and grow, and therefore, the essence of this new brand reinforces our commitment to supporting our customers and our community so every living being can reach its full potential.”
“What makes this partnership so exciting is that we truly share the belief that convention centers can be agents of culinary change,” said Andy Lansing, President and CEO of Levy. “We’re rolling up our sleeves and working closely with the restaurants, purveyors, farms, and community organizations that define New York’s culinary scene. Anyone who visits Javits Center should leave feeling like they experienced the best the city and state have to offer.”
All event managers, exhibitors and attendees at the Javits Center will now be served by the Cultivated team, including the creation of new menus, a new microsite dedicated to advanced and onsite catering services, and a new leadership team with decades of hospitality experience at convention centers across the United States.
In the first several months, Cultivated will roll out several initiatives centered around Reflecting the Community, Reimagining Catering and Event Service, and Reshaping Onsite Dining. Following are examples of each:
Reflecting the Community
- Coffee Cultivated: A one-of-a-kind homegrown coffee roasted by El Dorado Coffee Roasters, based in the Maspeth section of Queens
- Baked to Brew: A sustainable beer program reusing bread made onsite to craft specialty brews in partnership with a local brewery;
- Honey Harvest: A line of products infused with honey harvested from the Javits Center’s rooftop bee hives
- All Compostable: No straws and 100 percent compostable serviceware at all food and beverage locations operated by Cultivated.
Reimagining Catering and Event Service
- The Catering Experts: Refined, high-end catering service for special events crafted by CxRA, the acclaimed catering team serving New York cultural landmarks such as Lincoln Center, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum and American Museum of Natural History
- The In-House Bakery: An onsite bakery with handcrafted breads, pastries and desserts from scratch with recipes only found at the Javits Center, such as fried pies made with New York State apples and local sweet corn muffins
- The Mobile App: Direct-to-your-exhibit mobile ordering through a new app for exhibitors
Reshaping Onsite Dining
- Food and Beverage Destinations: New York-inspired restaurants and cafés serving deli sandwiches, burgers and other local specialties prepared by Levy, the hospitality power behind amazing dining experiences at Barclays Center and the U.S. Open Tennis Championships
- Robotic Service On-the-Go: High-tech, on-the-run beverage and salads from Briggo’s Coffee Haus robotic barista and Chowbotics’ Sally the Robot
Read the 2019 F&D SuperBook for details on the Javits Center.